Thursday, March 25, 2010

Passover is coming

I've been pretty good about not eating any flour-containing products, and the most interesting thing I've noticed is that I'm having fewer bowel movements. I was typically pretty regular at one each morning, but now it is one every two, or even three days. It is more solid than before, but nothing that metamucil can't take care of.

By the way, my doctor prescribed metamucil (once per day) to relieve some difficulties I had in the past. I completely recommend this!

Passover presents a whole slew of different problems. First, on Passover itself, I must eat Matzo. Now, it probably won't be that much of a problem, since (1) I don't enjoy matzo and (2) I can simply minimize the amount, similar to what I did with Challah on Shabbos.

I have no problem with all the meat/chicken/fish, but I guess I'll be eating a lot of potatoes and potato containing products of the kitchen. I'm not exactly sure where potatoes fit in to the paleo-lifestyle, but, I will attempt to measure my weight before and after YomTov.

The big problem right now, is that our kitchen is between modes. We've kashered the burners and the oven in the stove, but are not using it. We've still got the chometz microwave and a fair amount of non-KFP (Kosher for Passover) food in the refrigerator. So, I can't make scrambled eggs (no stove), but, I can take some ground beef and nuke it in the microwave. Yum, Yum! Grease city. The wife has bought a fair amount of Passover cakes that contain matzo meal (for before the holiday itself, since we don't get our matzo wet on Passover) or potato starch. She buys these so people will have something quick to eat. But, they all contain lots of sugar!!!

So, I think when I go to the store today, I'll be getting more ground beef and turkey wings, and probably a lot of nuts.

6 comments:

  1. I've read of celiacs being diagnosed after Passover.

    metamucil (once per day)

    a little more time on the diet and this will not be necessary. definitely avoid the metamucil wafers as they are not gluten free

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup. It's one teaspoon of the "original unflavored" in a glass of water to wash down the meds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to see another fellow Jew that is also following the paleo diet as well as keeping kosher. It can be rough sometimes, but I think we can share information and help each other with this.
    http://thelionsrealm.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. There really is no need to kosher your kitchen three weeks before Pesach. We do it three DAYS before.... and still get everything done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO GLAD TO COME ACROSS THIS. I'm in the process of researching Paleo, but I keep Kosher (okay, I don't, but I try!) I have friends who are Paleo, and I think they live off bacon, so obviously I don't get many recipes from them. Thanks for posting.

    Oh, and your comment about Potatoes and Paleo A BIG NO NO to my understanding.

    I'll be subscribing THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Disgusting - if you're having trouble then you're not eating enough fruit and fiber
    Paleo isn't about meat - it isn't Atkins
    Kosher meat is loaded with salt
    paleo is clean eating and most people have the opposite issues because they're eating real food which your body processes better
    Make some veggies - especially green and drink more water

    ReplyDelete